May 11, 2019
The Weitz Firm, LLC
We know that you count on healthcare professionals to do their best to care for you and your loved ones. However, researchers at Johns Hopkins have told us that medical mistakes are the third leading cause of death in the United States, behind only heart disease and cancer.
- An estimated 250,000 people lose their lives due to medical errors each year.
- Millions of others survive and are left suffering from the consequences.
Today, we want to talk about some steps you can take if you think you or a loved one has been the victim of a medical mistake. If you need a Philadelphia medical malpractice injury lawyer, contact The Weitz Firm, LLC today so we can get to work on securing the compensation you deserve.
What Can Happen?
Consider for a moment how many healthcare professionals you see each year. It is probably quite a few. From ER doctors and nurses to your primary care physician and pharmacist, we expect a high level of care.
Some of the most common medical errors include:
What You Can Do
There are some steps you can take if you suspect an error has occurred.
- Get copies of all of your medical records. Medical malpractice cases are built around records and you need to get yours as soon as possible. These records will contain valuable information such as scans, tests, treatment, and follow up. If a mistake was made, it will likely show up in the documentation.
- Seek treatment from another doctor. Explain to them what you think happened and get another opinion. Hopefully, another doctor can undo the damage caused by the first doctor.
- Write down everything that has happened in a journal, either handwritten or digital. Date every entry and describe everything that has happened. This includes treatments and procedures, symptoms you are experiencing, how this is affecting your life, and more. Journals are admissible evidence in most court cases.
- Find an attorney that specializes in medical malpractice. This is a field of law that can become complicated, so you do not want just any attorney handling your case. Find someone who has a strong track record of winning for their clients.
Let An Attorney Help You
If you or a loved one has been the victim of a medical error in Philadelphia, please seek legal assistance immediately. At The Weitz Firm, LLC, you can count on our qualified and experienced team to secure the compensation you deserve. This can include:
- Coverage of all medical expenses related to the mistake, including future medical expenses
- Recovery of lost income if you are unable to work
- Pain and suffering/loss of enjoyment of life damages
- Loss of consortium
- Punitive damages against the responsible parties
When you need a Philadelphia medical malpractice attorney, you can contact us for a free consultation by clicking here or calling 267-587-6240.