December 3, 2019
The Weitz Firm, LLC
While all medical procedures have risks, you should never have to worry about the careless or negligent actions of a medical professional causing you harm. Unfortunately, medical malpractice happens all the time in this country. At The Weitz Firm, LLC, we believe that victims of medical malpractice should be able to hold negligent medical professionals accountable for their actions. When you need a Philadelphia medical malpractice attorney, we are ready to secure the compensation you deserve.
Understanding the problem of medical mistakes
When most people think of common ways people are killed, they probably think of heart attacks, cancer, or some kind of violence. However, researchers at Johns Hopkins say that medical mistakes are the third leading cause of death in the United States. We know that:
- Around 250,000 people lose their lives each year due to medical errors.
- Millions more are injured but survive medical mistakes and are left with enormous financial, medical, and emotional consequences.
Medical mistakes happen in a variety of ways. Some of the most common mistakes a healthcare professional makes include:
- Medication Errors: Errors when dispensing or prescribing medications harm an estimated 1.5 million people each year in the US. These mistakes can happen in the hospital when prescribing the medication, or due to a mistake at the pharmacy. This can lead to patients receiving the wrong medication, the wrong dosage of their medication, or not receiving their medication at all.
- Birth Injuries: When a doctor, surgeon, or nurse is negligent during the delivery process, they can cause significant harm to a baby and the mother. A Lack of oxygen to the baby during the delivery process can cause brain damage and damage to other organs such as kidneys and liver.
- Surgical Mistakes: All surgeries involve risks, but there are some things that should never happen, including having the wrong body part being operated on, surgical instruments being left behind in a patient, or the patient receiving the wrong surgery.
- Diagnosing Mistakes: Johns Hopkins researchers say that errors made when diagnosing patients affect around 12 million people a year. These are considered to be the most harmful type of medical errors and can lead to delayed treatment or even no treatment for a patient at all.
- Infections: All hospitals and medical facilities have protocols in place to keep infections from spreading. However, around one in every 30 hospital patients in the county acquires an infection. One out of every three people who die in the hospital has sepsis, a full-body infection, at the time of death.
It is time to get your case started
At The Weitz Firm, LLC, our team is ready to investigate and help you secure compensation for the following:
- Coverage of all medical expenses related to the mistake
- The cost of future medical expenses
- Recovery of lost wages and benefits
- Punitive damages against the responsible come if you are unable to work
- Pain and suffering/loss of enjoyment of life damages
- Loss of consortium parties
If you need a Philadelphia medical malpractice attorney, you can contact us for a free consultation by clicking here. or calling 267-587-6240.